August 1, 2014........Looking for an event.......
1. This man-made event is held once a year.......always in the same location.......and always in the summer.
2. It's been held every year since it began in the late 1930s...except 1942.
3. One year, the COPS TV series attended the event to tape some segments.
Answer: The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
The Stugis Rally has been held every year since 1938 except in 1942. The event was not held that year because of gasoline rationing (brought on by World War II).
July 31, 2014......Looking for a device......
1. You might have one in your house, but more likely, you would find one in your workplace.
2. You might be amazed to learn that early experimentation on these devices began in the mid-1800s.
3. These days, these devices are quickly becoming obsolete.
Answer: Fax Machine
Scottish inventor Alexander Bain worked on chemical mechanical fax type devices and in 1846, was able to reproduce graphic signs in laboratory experiments.
The Pantelegraph was invented by the Italian physicist Giovanni Caselli. He introduced the first commercial telefax service between Paris and Lyon in 1865, some 11 years before the invention of telephones.
July 25, 2014.........Looking for a device.........
1. You wouldn't own one of these. When you need one, you borrow it.
2. Generally, in this country, you can borrow one for free. In Europe, you pay to borrow one.
3. They're generally made of plastic or metal and the CDC tells us they are loaded with bacteria.
Answer: Shopping Cart
July 24, 2014....................Looking for a form of entertainment......
1. This form of entertainment got started in the mid-1930s.
2. It died almost completely in the 70s.
3. ...and then revamped and modernized, it made a comeback in the 80s.
Answer: Singing Telegrams
July 23, 2014......Looking for a famous line from a classic movie......
1. The line we're looking for came from a blockbuster, multiple Academy Award-winning movie that came out in the mid-70s.
2. The line came from a movie shot almost entirely in Massachusetts.
3. The line might be recited by someone who has taken on a job that is going to be a little more difficult than they originally thought.
Answer: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
...spoken by Roy Scheider as police chief Martin Brody in the movie "Jaws".
July 22, 2014.....Looking for a business......
1. They got their start in Florida in the early 1980s.
2. According to company stats, the average person who patronizes this company spends about $15.00 per visit.
3. They have over 800 locations globally. We have one here in Fredericksburg.
Answer: Olive Garden
July 18, 2014......Looking for a country.......
1. It's a Central American country, but English is their official language.
2. If you like chewing gum, you can thank them for it.
3. If you like mahogany, you can thank them for it.
Belize is the birthplace of chewing gum.
The national tree of Belize is the Mahogany tree, one of the magnificent giants of the Belize rain forest.
July 17, 2014.....Looking for something you might find around the house.....
1. If you do have these around the house, you would most likely have them in the kitchen.
2. Although some are made of hardwood, most are made of ceramic or stone.
3. If you have these, you probably use them when cooking, but they were originally used by pharmacists in preparing drugs.
Answer: Mortar & Pestle
July 16, 2014.........Looking for a historical event........
1. It occurred in the 60s.
2. It lasted for almost 2 weeks.
3. Many feared that it had the potential to set off World War III.
Answer; The Cuban Missile Crisis
July 11, 2014........Looking for something we eat.......
1. It came from Europe in the 1800s.
2. At that time, creating this food was expensive and labor-intensive and generally not available to the average person.
3. Ironically, some dentists were instrumental in inventing machinery making this food more readily available to the average person.
Answer: Cotton Candy
Machine-spun cotton candy was invented in 1897 by the dentist William Morrison. Joseph Lascaux, a dentist from New Orleans invented a similar cotton candy machine in 1921.
July 10, 2014........Looking for a sport.....
1. It dates back to the 1400s.
2. It was part of the first Olympic games in the late 1800s.
3. Acting schools often encourage their students to participate in this sport because it helps them acquire poise and control of their body.
July 9, 2014........Looking for a game........
1. In it's original version, this game would only be played outdoors.
2. It's a game that can be played by 2 players or teams.
3. Due to a tragic accident in the mid-80s, this game was banned for years.
In April, 1987, seven-year-old Michelle Snow was killed by a lawn dart thrown by one of her brother's playmates in the backyard of their home in Riverside, California.
July 8, 2014.......Looking for something you'd find around the house......
1. Depending on the type of home in which you live, you might NOT find one of these around the house. You might not need one.
2. If you do have one, you would find it and use it only OUTSIDE the house.
3. Invented in the early 1800s, it was initially and primarily used at sports venues, but quickly spread to private homes as well.
Answer: Lawn Mower
The first lawn mower was invented by Edwin Budding in 1827 in England. Budding's mower was designed primarily to cut the grass on sports grounds.
July 7, 2014......Looking for a city......
1. It is one of the oldest cities in the world.
2. It's a city with a long tradition of sports and sporting events.
3. In fact, it hosted the Summer Olympic Games more than once, and a few years ago, it hosted the Special Olympics World Summer Games.
Answer: Athens, Greece
July 3, 2014.......Looking For A Brand Name.....
1. The name represents the first coast-to-coast chain of it's kind in the United States/
2. Only at their locations, can you get Darnoc Vodka.
3. Perhaps Whitney Houston should have avoided it.
Answer: Hilton (hotels & resorts founded by Conrad Hilton)
The house vodka at Hilton locations is Darnoc Vodka. Darnoc spelled backwards is Conrad.
On February 11, 2012, multi-Grammy Award winning singer Whitney Houston drowned in the bathtub of room 434 at the Beverly Hills Hilton.
July 2, 2014.....Looking for a slang.....................
1. Most people would find it derogatory.
2. Some would even find it to be a racial slur.
3. Some singers have indirectly used this slang or expression in song including Toby Keith, Billy Ray Cyrus and Colt Ford.
Answer: Trailer Trash (or trailer park trash)
Toby Keith's song "Trailerhood" and the Billy Ray Cyrus song "Burn Down The Trailer Park" both contain humorous lyrics about living in a trailer park.
Colt Ford's 2009 song "No Trash In My Trailer" tells of a redneck type male who throws his girlfriend out of his mobile home. The message being "there ain't no trash in my trailer since the day I threw you outta line".
July 1, 2014......Looking for someone who experienced 15 minutes of fame.....
1. Her 15 minutes occurred in the 90s.
2. During her 15 minutes, she appeared on several TV talk shows including Meet The Press, Larry King Live, The Geraldo Rivera show and Hannity & Colmes...to name a few.
3. Sho posed nude for Penthouse.
Answer: Paula Jones
June 26, 2014......Looking for a singer...
1. He's not country and despite the fact that this New Jersey boy hasn't had a hit in decades, he is hugely popular....maybe more so today than he's ever been.
2. His name is mentioned in the movie "Goodfellas".
3. You will find him, along with the other original members of his group in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Answer: Frankie Valli
June 25, 2014.......Looking for a singer/songwriter/actress/TV personality......
1. This Emmy-winner was not born in this country. She's British.
2. By just about everyone's evaluation, she comes from a dysfunctional family.
3. Over the course of the past decade, she's undergone a major make-over.
Answer: Kelly Osbourne
Kelly, along with her family, The Osbournes, won a 2002 Emmy Award for Outstanding Reality Program.
June 23, 2014........Looking for a sports figure.........
1. He was in eighth grade when he made the decision to pursue a professional career in his sport of choice.
2. He is known by a 5-letter nickname.
3. In the late 90s, he had his ownTV talk show. It lasted less than 90 days.
Answer: Earvin "Magic" Johnson
June 20, 2014........Looking for a cable TV show.......
1. It's been on the air for almost 5 years.
2. It is the highest-rated show in the history of the cable network it is shown on.
3.) Some people who make or have made appearances on the show include Carl Reiner, Jennier Love Hewett, Joe Jonas, Huey Lewis, Susan Lucci, Heather Locklear and Jon Lovitz.
Answer: Hot In Cleveland
It premiered on TV Land on June 16, 2010
June 10, 2014.........Looking for a landmark......
1. You will find it in the northwestern part of our country.
2. Originally, it shared a name with our traffic guy.
3. There is some controversy over the name we know it by today. Some say the name is French in origin. Others say it was named after a tribe of Native Americans.
Answer: Grand Teton (the highest mountain in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming)
In 1870, it was originally known as "Mount Hayden".
In 1929, the name was changed to Grand Teton. Some believe they named it "Grand Teton" because that means "large teat" in French. Others say it was named after the Teton Sioux tribe of Native Americans.
June 3, 2014..........Looking for a business.......
1. Despite their theme, the first one opened in the early 90s in the state of Kentucky, where they are still headquartered today.
2. A little under 5 years ago, for the first time, they went international and opened a location in Dubai.
3. We have one here in Fredericksburg.
Answer: Texas Roadhouse
May 19, 2014.......Looking for a comedian/actress........
1. She is probably best known for being a cast member on a very popular comedy shows.
2. Although she hasn't been on that show for several years, she did participate in a reunion special a little under five years ago.
3. She is also an accomplished impressionist capable of doing some hilarious impersonations of Angelina Jolle, Brooke shields, Donatella Versace, Monica Lewinsky, Liza Minnelli and Madonna, to name a few.
Answer: Molly Shannon
She was a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1995 to 2001.
She returned to Saturday Night Live for a special Mother's Day episode on May 8, 2010 and also in October, 2010 for the reunion special "Women Of SNL".
April 23, 2014........Looking for a device.......
1. There seems to be some dispute as to when this device was invented. Some say it was in 1950, but others say it was actually invented in the 1920s.
2. These days, this device is eityher gas or electric powered.
3. If not used properly, this device can cause more harm than good.
Answer: Power Washer (or pressure washer)
The hot-water pressure washer was invented by Alfred Karcher in 1950, but Frank Ofeldt claimed to have invented the steam pressure washer or "high-pressure Jenny" in 1927.
April 9, 2014......Looking for a TV personality......
1. He served in the United States Marine Corp, after which, he made quite a name for himself in the world of stand-up comedy.
2. Before being discovered by Johnny Carson, he worked as a bank teller and was a waiter at a Denny's at one point.
3. Although his weight was a comedic topic throughout his career, it resulted in him undergoing a coronary angioplasty a little over 10 years ago.
Answer: Drew Carey
July 31, 2013........Looking for an organization........
1. This international organization got it's start in the late 1940s and is headquartered in Switzerland.
2. This organization employs about 8,500 people in almost 150 different countries. You cannot work for them if you smoke.
3. They are financed by member countries (we're one of them) and also by privare donors. Last year, the United States contributed $110 million.
Answer: WHO - World Health Organization
November 19, 2013....Looking for an actress......
1. She's a vegetarian, but she is also a heavy smoker.
2. She's left-handed, but learned to write with her right hand in order to accurately portray one of her most famous roles, which won her an Oscar.
3. At one point, she was one of THEE top-earning actresses. Her current net worth is estimated to be almost $150 million.
Answer: Julia Roberts
She learned to write right-handed in order to portray Erin Brockovich.
September 27, 2013........Looking for something we eat......
1. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT Spanish in origin. It's Arabic in origin.
2. Obviously, you can eat it anytime, but you would probably be more likely to eat it in hotter weather.
3. When it comes to the recipe, there are probably 100 variations.