December 18, 2014.......Looking for a classic movie.....
1. The original version of this movie came out in the mid-1940s.
2. It was nominated for 4 Academy Awards and won 3 of them.
3. The movie featured a child star who's career continued through her adulthood until she died in the early 80s under mysterious circumstances.
Answer: Miracle On 34th Street
The film won Academy Awards for Best Actory in a Supporting Role (Edmund Gwenn), Best Writing Original Story and Best Writing, Screenplay. It was also nominated for Best Picture, losing to "Gentlemam's Agreement".
Natalie Wood was the child star of the movie. During the making of her last film, "Brainstorm", she drowned while on a weekend boat trip to Santa Catalina Island, California with her husband, Robert Wagner, actor Christopher Walken and the boat's captain, Dennis Davern. Many facts surrounding her drowning are unknown because no one admitted seeing how she entered the water.
December 16, 2014......Looking for a city........
1. It's the capitol of it's state.
2. This might surprise you. At one point, it was the largest lumber market in the United States.
3. Perhaps that's why the Iroquois referred to it as "the place through the pine woods".
Answer: Albany, New York
By 1865, there were almost 4,000 saw mills in the Albany area and the Albany Lumber District was the largest market in the nation.
December 10, 2014...........Looking for a singer/songwriter/musician.....
1. This Virginia boy is not country and has won numerous Grammy Awards.
2. A few years ago, he wrote the soundtrack to a popular animated film.
3. He recently came under some fire after making controversial remarks about the Ferguson, Missouri incident.
Answer: Pharrell Williams
In July, 2010, William's composed the soundtrack to the movie "Despicable Me".
Regarding the Ferguson,Missouri incident, Williams told Ebony Magazine that Michael Brown's actions inside a convenience store, and caught on video, show a teenager without respect for authority.
December 9, 2014........Looking for a famous quote.......
1. The quote originally comes from a written story (novel), but then became known from movie versions of the story.
2. The entire quote: 4 words.
Answer: "God bless us, everyone!"
December 4, 2014........Looking for a historical figure....
1. He was one of our Presidents, but one of the more obscure ones.
2. He became President due to an assassination.
3. At the time, he was considered a great dresser.
Answer: Chester Arthur
....Garfield's Vice President, replacing him when Garfield was assassinated (September 19, 1881).
December 3, 2014......Looking for a city......
1. It's one of those cities that comes to mind when you think of cold, brutal winters.
2. The OH-bama's celebrated one of Malia's birthdays in this city.
3. In this city, you will find a very large religious icon and a famous house of ill repute.
Answer: Butte, Montana
In 2008, Barack OH-bama spent his Fourth of July in Butte, taking in the parade with his family, and celebrating his daughter Malia's 10th birthday.
"Our Lady of the Rockies" statue is a 90-foot statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary dedicated to women and mothers everywhere, on top of the Continental Divide, overlooking Butte.
The Dumas Brothel is widely considered America's longest-running house of prostitution. It opened in Butte in 1890. It was shut down in 1982 for income tax viloations.
December 2, 2014........Looking for a business.......
1. They got their start in the mid 1930s in Ohio and currently employ about 4,000 people nationwide.
2. They only make house calls and it's a business you don't want to have to call.
3. Their motto/jingle is one of the longest-running and best-remembered musical jingles in advertising history.
"Call Roto-Rooter, that's the name, and away go troubles down the drain."
October 30, 2014..........Looking for a political figure........
1. Aside from his political career, he also has his own radio show.
2. But before politics and radio, he was famous for something else.
3. He has had ongoing feuds with several conservative talk show hosts.
Answer: Al Franken (United States Senator from Minnesota)
Before politics, he was a writer and performer on Saturday Night Live for about 20 years.
He hosts a radio show on "Air America".
August 13, 2014......Looking for a crime.....
1. You're familiar with the crime known as the "world's oldest profession". Well, some people refer to this crime as the "world's SECOND oldest profession".
2. "Shaving" is a term used in connection with this crime.
3. In this country, if you're found guilty of it, you could face up to 15 years in federal prison.
August 11, 2014........Looking for a form of entertainment.....
1. This form of entertainment dates backs to the 13th century.
2. It is a form of entertainment that is seen mainly on the streets.
3. It could be the ultimate in multi-tasking.
Answer: One-Man Band
July 25, 2014.........Looking for a device.........
1. You wouldn't own one of these. When you need one, you borrow it.
2. Generally, in this country, you can borrow one for free. In Europe, you pay to borrow one.
3. They're generally made of plastic or metal and the CDC tells us they are loaded with bacteria.
Answer: Shopping Cart
July 16, 2014.........Looking for a historical event........
1. It occurred in the 60s.
2. It lasted for almost 2 weeks.
3. Many feared that it had the potential to set off World War III.
Answer; The Cuban Missile Crisis
June 26, 2014......Looking for a singer...
1. He's not country and despite the fact that this New Jersey boy hasn't had a hit in decades, he is hugely popular....maybe more so today than he's ever been.
2. His name is mentioned in the movie "Goodfellas".
3. You will find him, along with the other original members of his group in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Answer: Frankie Valli
June 25, 2014.......Looking for a singer/songwriter/actress/TV personality......
1. This Emmy-winner was not born in this country. She's British.
2. By just about everyone's evaluation, she comes from a dysfunctional family.
3. Over the course of the past decade, she's undergone a major make-over.
Answer: Kelly Osbourne
Kelly, along with her family, The Osbournes, won a 2002 Emmy Award for Outstanding Reality Program.
June 23, 2014........Looking for a sports figure.........
1. He was in eighth grade when he made the decision to pursue a professional career in his sport of choice.
2. He is known by a 5-letter nickname.
3. In the late 90s, he had his ownTV talk show. It lasted less than 90 days.
Answer: Earvin "Magic" Johnson
June 20, 2014........Looking for a cable TV show.......
1. It's been on the air for almost 5 years.
2. It is the highest-rated show in the history of the cable network it is shown on.
3.) Some people who make or have made appearances on the show include Carl Reiner, Jennier Love Hewett, Joe Jonas, Huey Lewis, Susan Lucci, Heather Locklear and Jon Lovitz.
Answer: Hot In Cleveland
It premiered on TV Land on June 16, 2010
June 10, 2014.........Looking for a landmark......
1. You will find it in the northwestern part of our country.
2. Originally, it shared a name with our traffic guy.
3. There is some controversy over the name we know it by today. Some say the name is French in origin. Others say it was named after a tribe of Native Americans.
Answer: Grand Teton (the highest mountain in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming)
In 1870, it was originally known as "Mount Hayden".
In 1929, the name was changed to Grand Teton. Some believe they named it "Grand Teton" because that means "large teat" in French. Others say it was named after the Teton Sioux tribe of Native Americans.
June 3, 2014..........Looking for a business.......
1. Despite their theme, the first one opened in the early 90s in the state of Kentucky, where they are still headquartered today.
2. A little under 5 years ago, for the first time, they went international and opened a location in Dubai.
3. We have one here in Fredericksburg.
Answer: Texas Roadhouse
May 19, 2014.......Looking for a comedian/actress........
1. She is probably best known for being a cast member on a very popular comedy shows.
2. Although she hasn't been on that show for several years, she did participate in a reunion special a little under five years ago.
3. She is also an accomplished impressionist capable of doing some hilarious impersonations of Angelina Jolle, Brooke shields, Donatella Versace, Monica Lewinsky, Liza Minnelli and Madonna, to name a few.
Answer: Molly Shannon
She was a cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1995 to 2001.
She returned to Saturday Night Live for a special Mother's Day episode on May 8, 2010 and also in October, 2010 for the reunion special "Women Of SNL".
April 23, 2014........Looking for a device.......
1. There seems to be some dispute as to when this device was invented. Some say it was in 1950, but others say it was actually invented in the 1920s.
2. These days, this device is eityher gas or electric powered.
3. If not used properly, this device can cause more harm than good.
Answer: Power Washer (or pressure washer)
The hot-water pressure washer was invented by Alfred Karcher in 1950, but Frank Ofeldt claimed to have invented the steam pressure washer or "high-pressure Jenny" in 1927.
April 9, 2014......Looking for a TV personality......
1. He served in the United States Marine Corp, after which, he made quite a name for himself in the world of stand-up comedy.
2. Before being discovered by Johnny Carson, he worked as a bank teller and was a waiter at a Denny's at one point.
3. Although his weight was a comedic topic throughout his career, it resulted in him undergoing a coronary angioplasty a little over 10 years ago.
Answer: Drew Carey
October 13, 2014......Looking for a classic country song.........
1. It came out in the early 60s.
2. The person who made it a hit is not the original person to record it.
3. For the person who did make it a hit, it was the biggest of his career.
Answer: Ring Of Fire
The song was originally recorded by June Carter's sister, Anita Carter. After hearing Anita's version, Johnny Cash claimed he had a dream in which he heard the song accompanied by "Mexican horns". He told Anita, "I'll give you about five or six months, and if you don't hit with that song, I'm gonna record it the way I feel it". When the song failed to become a major hit for Anita, Cash recorded it his way, adding the mariachi-style horns.